Thursday, April 9, 2009

Huge News: Creigh has $1.2 Million cash on hand

Looks like Brian Moran was correct: It's a two-man race after all!

Seriously, this is great news!. Just got the following letter in my inbox:
Alan --

I wanted you to be the first to know that we proved the pundits wrong.
 
I am excited to announce that I was able to raise more money in 44 days than the previous 6 months -- and now my campaign has $1.2 million cash-on-hand.
 
[snip]

Some people said that it was foolish of me to give up 46 days of campaign fundraising in order to stay and fight for you in the Virginia Senate.  They said that I had no shot of keeping up with my opponents.

But as we've said all along, we are on track to have the resources we need to let every Democratic primary voter know I'm the one candidate who's best prepared to continue the legacy of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.
 
[snip]

My opponents had twice as much time to fundraise.  Brian Moran even resigned his seat so he could raise money full-time for his campaign, but it didn't pay off.  I now have 41 percent more cash on-hand than Brian.

I'm also so proud that because of our growing support statewide, 97 percent of our contributions came from Virginians like you.
 
But to take on Terry McAuliffe and win the nomination on June 9th, we need to keep building on our success. Contribute today.

It means so much to me to have your support.

Thank you,

Creigh Deeds

This is huge news. Obviously, Creigh is behind McAuliffe, but the fact that he is ahead of Moran with respect to cash on hand as of today crates an entirely new dynamic on this race.

Could it be time for Brian Moran to drop out and throw his support to Creigh?

2 comments:

  1. From what I've gathered Deeds pulled in $200,000 less than Moran. Not bad for not actively fundraising, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly right. Moran had the entire quarter to fundraise, and took in $800K. Creigh had only 44 days to do so -- one-half the time -- and got to $600K.

    Even more interesting will be to see where all of Moran's money is going. Probably a large chunk to consultants, the value of whose help so far has been debatable, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete